Thursday, April 20, 2017

McDonald's Kids Crew in the Philippines...


We are walking distance to a McDonalds, and I found out early on about this thing called McDonald's Kids Crew. It sounded too good to be true. For $14 per kid U.S., your kids could go to McDonald's every afternoon for a week, and they would actually let them work behind the counter.

Note the full uniform they gave these children. This is a uniform loving country. I've even seen men dressed in identical dress shirts and ties. The ladies who check you out at the grocery store are wearing what looks like identical 60's mini dresses, including hose and nicely fixed hair and bright lipstick.

I digress. Anyway, it seems like the boys came back from camp each day with additional pieces to add to their uniforms. They gave them t-shirts to start with when I signed them up. That made sense to my American mind.

But when I picked them up from camp the first day, they had hats and name tag lanyards and bags with notebooks and stickers in them.

They missed the second day of camp due to the World's Worst Uber Driver, but the third day they had on full aprons and chef's hats when I got them. This was in addition to their new badges that said they'd been counter trained and drive thru trained.

I was expecting life sized, blow up Ronald McDonald toys by yesterday.


Y'all, they let them work behind the counter. You know this would never happen at McDonalds in the U.S., but my boys were pushing buttons on the cash register, printing out receipts, handing out napkins and condiments, making ice cream, etc.

Evan proudly handed me a cheeseburger that he made me himself. It had all the little onions and ketchup and mustard on it, and it was even in the yellow paper wrapper. How cool is that?

I thought that they did this camp during their slow time in the afternoons, but I'm learning that there is no slow time at McDonalds here. It's always busy. McDonalds is very popular, and it's considered a higher end restaurant than it is in the U.S.

I'm so glad that they let these kids actually help, and no one complained when they slowed down the line! This is such a kid friendly culture. We love that!


They told me yesterday that today was graduation day, and I figured this would be a fun experience. Check out the banner in the upstairs room.

McDonald's camp here also definitely includes dancing and singing. There are even McDonald's songs, and the kids learned them, including hand motions and dance moves. I am not kidding. It's so fun. I'm learning that Filipinos love to sing and dance.



Certificates and awards are also a bigger part of the culture than they are in the U.S. Evan got an award for "best dancer", and they asked me to pin it on him while pictures were made.


One of Seth's teachers and his graduation certificate.

We had a special guest! Grimace showed up, and he had some mean dance moves. There was selfie time with Grimace. Who am I to say no to that? :)


I forgot to mention this, but I would like to note that this isn't a secular culture. Filipinos make no apologies for being Catholic, and there are crosses and crucifixes in government buildings. Seth was asked to give the prayer to start the McDonald's graduation today, and he did a great job. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment