Friday, April 14, 2017

Good Friday in Maloban, part 3...


We were on our way back from seeing the flagellantes, and I saw some of these trikes. I asked how much they were for a ride, and M. flagged one down for us. :) David and I got on behind the motorbike driver, and the boys took the side car. It was a fun way to get back to where we parked after a lot of walking in the heat.


Back at the family home, the local coconut vendor had showed up. We watched him hack the outside off with a machete, and once he'd make a smooth top of the inner white coconut meat, he poked a straw through it. Freshest coconut water you'll ever have! In the corner of the picture of the boys, you can see their household helper. She is holding out a pitcher, and he is filling it with coconut water as  he hacks it open.


Good Friday lunch was served boodle fight club style on a table of banana leaves. You stand around the table and eat with your fingers. Most of the food was seafood, but the family roasted some chicken for me and the boys. David ate squid. :) There was also fresh lumpia, and after lunch, I got to try cheese ice cream for dessert. Don't worry, it takes more like cream cheese than cheddar, but I didn't know exactly what to expect. :)


Being with this kind family made me miss my own. M.'s father reminded me a little of my dad, and he was so kind to make sure he'd gotten filtered water for us when the lemon guy came to make lemonade. We felt so welcomed, and we found out later that this family often hosts people that their globe trotting children drag home. What a gift of sweet hospitality they had!

I felt proud of us when we got home in the early afternoon. I had no idea what to expect when we accepted the offer to spend Good Friday with a local family, and it's hard for me to do this kind of thing with the kids because I'm nervous that things won't go well with the boys (and me by extension). We smelled some unfamiliar and unpleasant smells, definitely saw things that were out of our comfort zone, and managed well without air conditioning in 95 degree heat. And everyone had a great time! We are being stretched, but it's not breaking us at this point, and I'm grateful to God for that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm loving living your adventure with you through your writing :)

    ReplyDelete