Tuesday, March 17, 2020

On Lockdown in Metro Manila....


Like all who are currently living through the Coronavirus Pandemic of 2020, I'm assuming that I'll look back on these days with a little bit of awe at how crazy it all was. But right now, I've only got the perspective of living it.

We're doing just fine, but we have an underlying low level of stress from a situation that keeps changing every day. We're just all waiting for the next restriction. First it was reductions in workforce and encouragement to telework and all the schools closing. Then it quickly changed to all the parks being closed. And finally, as of last night, we are all required to stay in our houses except to get groceries. Public transportation has been suspended. The staff that run the building where we live may be sleeping in the empty driver's lounges (though I hope not.)

It has felt like the net has been getting tighter and tighter. "Please stay home." "Ok, not enough of you are staying home. We'll close some more things. We really mean it. No going to the mall." "Ok, I know we said that we weren't going to go to a lockdown, but too many of you guys went out, so now we're going to make you stay at home. If you come out now without a good reason, the authorities can chase you back in."

I think the hardest thing right now is knowing that friends and family in the U.S. can still go to parks and walking trails. They can be out in their yards. They can drive places in their cars, as long as they're not going anywhere crowded.

I, on the other hand, live in one of the most crowded cities in the world. There really aren't many places without people. We have already self restricted for most of our time here because Manila traffic is so bad that it's just easier to stay within a small radius where you can usually walk.

This is going to continue for at least a month, and it may feel like the longest month of our lives. I'm hoping that we can still get outside in the landscaped area behind our building, but I'm trying not to count on it.


In a conscious attempt to reject panic buying, I have only been shopping once a week. I was able to get most of what we would need for this week from my local grocery store, but the line looked like this. I did pretty well because I was only standing in line for an hour. I've heard that it's gotten much worse in only a day.

Anyway, the store was crowded, and I was pretty stressed. The cashier told me that they'd run out of bags, and she asked me if I'd like a box. A box? Ok, paki po. Kuya came rushing up, expertly built a box, and then he started packing it. My rice and other heavy items went on the bottom. Nothing was crushed. He closed it and tied it up thoroughly with heavy twine. Then he heaved it up and put it in the cart and pushed it out to my car. I've been impressed with Filipino baggers for years. They really know their stuff, but this was next level.

It occurred to me that that my shopping experience yesterday probably encapsulates why I'm not that worried about staying here through the next month. Yes, this country feels chaotic right now, but I know that the average Filipino is working hard and creatively to make sure that we have what we really need. People know how to work hard and to think about the community. They work together to come up with creative solutions in less than ideal circumstances, and they've been doing it for years. They're proud of doing their jobs well and with a smile. And honestly, the smile is such an important part of it in these tense times.


No comments:

Post a Comment