Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Morning Time in Manila

Hi, friends! I have been so fortunate to be able to have my kids in homeschooling classes here in Manila. The time sitting and talking to other homeschooling moms while our kids dance or paint has become so precious to me.

I am a U.S. based homeschooler, and that means that I follow the homeschooling law of my state. For me, that mainly means that my kids take a standardized test once a year. My Filipino friends, however, are usually using a homeschool provider that gives them curriculum and deadlines to follow. From what I can tell from talking to them, it seems like most of their homeschooling takes place at a table with open workbooks, pencils, and pens. We spend a lot of time at the table as well, but I can tell you that most of the magic and connection in our homeschool doesn't happen there. It happens during Morning Time.

The beauty of Morning Time is found in its simplicity and flexibility. It can take place in the sala on the couch, at the table during breakfast or merienda, or even snuggled up in bed. You can spend as much or as little time as fits into your schedule. Morning Time doesn't even need to happen in the morning. :) All you need to get started is a box.


You have your box or basket. Now you have to ask yourself this: "What do I want to share with my children?" Maybe there are things that you only got to cover lightly in your child's curriculum, and you'd like to dig deeper. Maybe you've got a book you'd love to read aloud. Maybe you'd really like them to memorize the regions of the Philippines or a poem or two. Maybe there are a few Bible verses that you'd like them to hide in their hearts.

Here are some things that I've put in my box. My box doesn't hold all of them at one time. I switch out what is in there every few weeks or so to keep things fresh.



A devotional for kids is always there. We also like to read silly or serious poems together. I have taught a Filipino flower or bird or tree from time to time. To do this, I have them copy it using colored pencils, and then we might look up a video about it if it's an animal on Youtube to see it move. I might have a biography for us to read a chapter at a time. We play learning games occasionally. I have them find countries or states on a map that I pull out. There's no limit to what you can do. The key is to make it personal to your family and your priorities for learning.



There are things that I'd like my children to memorize, and I type them up individually and put them in a binder. They range from Bible verses to the continents of the earth to the dates of different wars. All you need for this is some sort of folder and your items to memorize.



Let's say you have a real love of Ancient History, and you want them to learn more about Ancient Egypt. Pull out a book on that, and glance quickly through it for important names. Write them on a whiteboard, and prop it up while you read. Ask your kids to raise their hands when they hear you read that word or name. This will help keep their attention. After you're done, talk about what you read. "Why do you think he did that? Was Alexander the Great really great? Why or why not?" In discussing this, you're getting a window into the hearts and minds of your kids and seeing how they think. It's a fantastic way to connect with each other in your homeschool.

I know that it may feel like adding one more thing to your homeschooling day is too much. But sometimes, adding in the right extra thing can breathe new life into your homeschool and help you remember why you started homeschooling in the first place.

And all you need is a box. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ellen! Love that you included a book on a Filipino hero in your box.
    We go to Homeschool BGC, too, but unlike many homeschoolers you may have met, we don't spend too much time on workbooks. I guess it depends on the lifestyle of the family you meet.

    I agree, although for some families, working through the lessons on their workbooks can also be an effective time to bond, there are many other ways to connect with our children. In our case, we found it most effective through music, random talks when we walk home from wherever and we answer the kids' questions about the Bible, God, Science and many other things, and well, we have very few opportunities to travel, but it's what our kids love the most.

    ReplyDelete